News

Manny Pacquiao plans to box on

Manny Pacquiao plans to box on

FIGHT ON: Manny Pacquiao says he has no plans to retire any time soon. Photo: Reuters

(Reuters) – Filipino great Manny Pacquiao will box on irrespective of the outcome of his November 24 fight against American Brandon Rios, the eight-weight world champion said on Wednesday.

Two straight defeats, the second a sixth-round knockout by old foe Juan Manuel Marquez in December, have triggered talk of retirement which would only increase if he loses in Macau as well.

The 34-year-old Filipino, however, would not even give retirement a thought.

“(I) just want to go out and win this fight,” Pacquiao told reporters through advisor Michael Koncz via a teleconference.

The boxer dismissed any hangover from his last two losses and said he was feeling comfortable and confident ahead of the Macau showdown.

Pacquiao dismissed his last two defeats as part of boxing and denied being under any pressure to re-establish himself as the world’s best pound-for-pound boxer.

He conceded, however, that the Rios fight would be crucial.

“This is one of the most important ones because I want to show my fans in the world that I can still compete at the high level,” he said.

Latest Headlines

5 hours ago in Sports

The best sports shots this week

A horse is ridden to the track for a workout at Churchill Downs Thursday, May 5, 2016, in Louisville, Ky. The 142nd running of the Kentucky Derby is scheduled for Saturday, May 7. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

A look back at some of the biggest plays and best moments in sports this week.

5 hours ago in Sports

The weekend sports schedule

derby16125540087682

Here’s a look at some of the sporting events taking place this weekend.

12 hours ago in Entertainment, Sports

Kobe Bryant’s ‘Dear Basketball’ to get Disney treatment

KOBE472419167185

Kobe Bryant's farewell poem to basketball is going to be turned into a short film.

13 hours ago in Music

Axl Rose jumped at the chance to replace Brian Johnson in AC/DC

axlrose

The Guns N' Roses star will make his debut as the Australian rock act's new singer on Saturday.

13 hours ago in Sports

Paterno’s son: Supposed 1976 allegation vs. father is ‘bunk’

joepa16127363890593

Joe Paterno's son says an allegation made by insurers that a boy told the longtime Penn State football coach in 1976 that he had been molested by former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky is "bunk."