News

Judge denies Jackson family bid for new wrongful death trial

Judge denies Jackson family bid for new wrongful death trial

KING OF POP: Michael Jackson gestures during a news conference at the O2 Arena in London March 5, 2009. Photo: Reuters/Stefan Wermuth

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – The family of late pop star Michael Jackson on Monday lost its bid for a new trial against concert promoter AEG Live, which had been cleared of liability in the singer’s death.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos ruled that Jackson’s mother and children did not have standing for a re-trial after their attorneys argued last month that jury instructions were confusing and not wide enough in scope.

A jury in October cleared privately held AEG Live, the organizer of Jackson’s ill-fated 50 “This Is It” comeback shows in London, of negligently hiring cardiologist Conrad Murray as Jackson’s personal physician.

The verdict came after a sensational five-month trial that offered a glimpse into the private life and final days of the “King of Pop.”

Jackson family attorneys could send their appeal to a higher state court.

Katherine Jackson, 83, and the singer’s three children Prince Michael, Paris and Blanket, sued AEG Live over Jackson’s 2009 death at age 50 in Los Angeles from an overdose of the powerful anesthetic propofol administered by Murray.

The wrongful death lawsuit claimed the concert promoter had acted negligently by hiring Murray as Jackson’s personal physician, but a jury concluded Murray was sufficiently qualified for his job.

Murray was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in 2011 for Jackson’s death and served half of his 4-year sentence in a Los Angeles prison. He was released in October under a California state plan to reduce prison overcrowding.

(Reporting by Eric Kelsey, editing by Piya Sinha-Roy and Cynthia Osterman)

Latest Headlines

in Music

Nikki Sixx swears off Motley Crue songs after retirement

nikkis

The rocker says once the band calls it quits you won't hear him perform any of their hits.

in Music

The Who postpone concerts over Daltrey’s health concerns

rogerdaltrey

Roger Daltrey's doctors have told him he needs to postpone upcoming shows to rest his vocal chords.

in Viral Videos

WATCH: ‘Star Wars’ LEGO Super Star Destroyer shattered

18-overlay

It took $800 and 16 hours to build this epic "Star Wars" set ... and only a few seconds to smash it.

in Music

Phil Rudd pens letter to AC/DC bandmates

15-overlay

The former drummer - left out of the band's 2015 tour - has broken his silence for the first since being convicted of drug and threat charges.

in Viral Videos

Jimmy Fallon & Jack Black remake ‘More Than Words’

23-overlay1

The 1990 ballad by Extreme gets a shot-by-shot tribute and it's scarily accurate.