News

Dolphins suspend Richie Incognito for harassment

Dolphins suspend Richie Incognito for harassment

Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito (68) and tackle Jonathan Martin (71) looks over plays during the second half of an NFL preseason football game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Saturday, Aug. 24, 2013 in Miami Gardens, Fla. Photo: Associated Press/Wilfredo Lee

MIAMI (Reuters) – The Miami Dolphins said they have indefinitely suspended offensive lineman Richie Incognito for “conduct detrimental to the team.”

The suspension was announced on Sunday night, hours after the Dolphins said they and the National Football League (NFL) were investigating bullying and abuse allegations made by offensive tackle Jonathan Martin.

“We believe in maintaining a culture of respect for one another and as a result we believe this decision is in the best interest of the organization at this time,” the Dolphins said in announcing Incognito’s suspension.

The NFL said in a statement: “We have been in contact with the team on this matter since last week and will conduct a thorough review.”

Earlier on Sunday, the Dolphins said they had received notifications from Martin’s representative alleging that he had been repeatedly harassed by teammates.

“We are taking these allegations very seriously,” the Dolphins said.

Martin, who was a second-round draft choice in 2012 out of Stanford University, left the team last week on a leave of absence. The 23-year-old had started every game of his rookie season and seven games this year.

The Dolphins said coach Joe Philbin and several teammates had been in touch with him and that, “Our primary concern for Jonathan is his overall health and well-being.”

The Dolphins did not elaborate on the allegations against Incognito. On Twitter, Incognito denied wrongdoing and demanded that his name be cleared.

The incident shines a light on rookie hazing that has long been a widespread practice in the league, though not generally known to have been taken to extremes.

ESPN reported Sunday that Incognito convinced Martin to contribute $15,000 to help finance a trip to Las Vegas, even though Martin did not go on the trip.

Other instances of intimidation were captured on voicemails and texts, according to media reports.

Latest Headlines

in Sports

Judge gives go-ahead for $2 billion sale of NBA’s Clippers

With her attorney Pierce O'Donnell, right, Shelly Sterling, center, talks to reporters after a judge ruled in her favor and against her estranged husband, Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, in his attempt to block the $2 billion sale of the NBA basketball team, outside Los Angeles Superior Court, Monday, July 28, 2014.

Shelly Sterling can proceed with the record $2 billion sale of the Los Angeles Clippers despite her husband's objections, a judge ruled on Monday.

in Trending, Viral Videos

TODAY’S MUST SEE: How to cool a drink in two minutes

Cold Drinks

Never drink a lukewarm beverage again! Check out this helpful summer trick.

in Music

Glen Matlock denies new Sex Pistols reunion

John Lydon, right, and Glen Matlock of The Sex Pistols perform at the Roxy in West Hollywood, Calif., on Thursday, Oct. 25, 2007.

Sex Pistols star Glen Matlock dashes fans' hopes of another reunion by insisting he hasn't had any contact with John Lydon in five years.

in Sports

Only arguing remains in Sterling trail

FILE - In this Nov. 12, 2010, file photo, Shelly Sterling sits with her husband, Donald Sterling, right, during the Los Angeles Clippers' NBA basketball game against the Detroit Pistons in Los Angeles. With a $2 billion sale of the Clippers hanging in the balance, a judge is set to determine Monday, June 30, 2014, if the terms of a family trust alone are enough to confirm Donald Sterling was properly removed as trustee and allow his estranged wife to sell the team without his consent.

Only final arguments and a ruling remain in the trial to determine whether Donald Sterling's estranged wife can sell the Los Angeles Clippers for $2 billion.

in Sports

Paul McGinley pulls out of PGA Championship with injury

Paul McGinley of Ireland laughs during a news conference after being named the European Ryder Cup captain at the St. REgis in Saadiyat Islands in Abu Dhabi on January 15, 2013.

European Ryder Cup captain Paul McGinley has pulled out of the PGA Championship with a shoulder injury.