News

BBC bosses apologize for ‘Doctor Who’ leak

BBC bosses apologize for ‘Doctor Who’ leak

Peter Capaldi arrives for the World Premiere of World War Z at a central London cinema, Sunday, June 2, 2013. Photo: Associated Press/Joel Ryan/Invision

Bosses at the BBC have apologized for the leak of Peter Capaldi‘s debut as Doctor Who branding the incident a “damaging mistake”.

The Oscar winner’s highly-anticipated debut as the Time Lord was slated to be broadcast next month, but six weeks before the full episode is set to air, a rough copy of the show as well as five scripts and six more episodes from the season were posted on the Internet earlier this week.

Writer Steven Moffat urged Doctor Who fans to resist the temptation to watch the leaked copy, and now executives at the network have said sorry for the incident.

A statement from company bosses reads, “We would like to thank Doctor Who fans everywhere for their amazing efforts in helping us contain the recent leaks. The mistake was damaging and resulted in the exposure of five scripts and the first six unfinished episodes from Series 8 on a publicly accessible FTP site.

“While there is still a risk that this leak will result in more of this content emerging, so far the impact has been contained to a limited amount of this material through a combination of fans efforts and the plan that we put in place using new technology and internal manpower to limit any illegal activity.

“We would particularly like to thank the fansite moderators and Doctor Who devotees who have actively protected the program. BBC Worldwide has taken this issue extremely seriously and disciplinary action has been implemented as a result of the incident.

“Our sincere apologies again to Steven Moffat, the cast and production team who toil long hours to make the show in Cardiff, the BBC, and of course the fans who expect so much better.”

According to BBC.co.uk, the leaked video and scripts are believed to have been stolen from a BBC Worldwide office in the U.S.

Latest Headlines

in Music

Iron Maiden’s future depends on Bruce Dickinson’s cancer treatment

brucedickinson

Iron Maiden's manager Rod Smallwood updated fans on the singer's progress.

in Sports

Prosecutors: No charges for NASCAR driver Kurt Busch

kurtbusch

Delaware prosecutors will not file criminal charges following allegations of domestic violence by his ex-girlfriend.

in Music

Kurt Cobain’s childhood home up for sale – again

Kurt Cobain

The Nirvana frontman lived in the home up until he was nine, when his parents separated, and then again from age 16 to 20.

in Sports

2016 Rolex race to be first event at renovated Daytona

daytona

Daytona International Speedway will showcase its renovated motorsports stadium next January.

in Music

Travis Barker wants Tom DeLonge out of Blink-182 for good

travisbarker

The drummer says he's "not going to force anyone to do anything they don't want to do and it's time to move on."